Filipino Comfort Food - Pancit Noodles

Noodles are my comfort food.  They have been for as long as I can remember.



Since my food allergies developed, I've had to give up one of my most favorite cuisines: Filipino food.  Things like lumpia (the wrappers are made with wheat flour), adobo (uses soy sauce, which has wheat and soy), and pancit (uses oyster sauce, which has wheat)...  Until now.  At least for the last one.  I converted my mother's pancit recipe to be allergen friendly, so I make these on a pretty regular basis.  I just remembered to document some of the steps this time.  So here goes.

Ingredients
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced (or sliced)
  • 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
  • ~1/2 cup shredded carrots (I use my mandolin slicer to do this quickly.)
  • ~1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1-2 bone-in chicken thighs (skin is optional) - You can add more chicken, but you don't need a lot for the base recipe.
  • 2-4 T coconut aminos (specific amount is to taste)
  • 1-2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice, seeds strained out
  • Green bean (or mung bean) vermicelli 4-6 bunches (or 1 pack)
  • 1 T avocado oil (or another neutral oil of your choice)
Directions
  • Boil a pot of water and bring to a rapid boil.  Add the chicken.  Boil the chicken for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the water and set aside.  Save the water because you'll need it for the noodles!!  **Keep the chicken broth water hot.**

  • Heat a wok (or skillet) over medium-high heat.  Add the oil and wait until the oil is shimmering.  Then, saute the onions and garlic until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.

  • Add the carrots and celery and saute for 1-2 minutes.  (I used about half of what is pictured below.)  Salt & pepper to taste.

  • While you're waiting for the onions, garlic, carrots, and celery to cook down a little, pull the chicken meat from the bone, shred with 2 forks, and add to the wok.  (Skin and all can be separated or added here.  It's up to you.  I usually add it all together.)

  • Spoon some of the saved chicken broth into the wok (approximately 1/2 cup) and let all of it simmer together for a few minutes, while you work on the next steps.  Do not stir.  (The picture below is what my wok looks like when I'm letting it cook down.)

  • Bring the broth water back to a boil (if it cooled), and when it's boiling again, turn off the heat and add the noodles.  I usually use 4-6 bunches of the noodles, for this amount of veggies because we all love the noodles here.  The picture shown here has 4 bunches left in the package.

  • Let the noodles sit in the hot broth water for 5-7 minutes.  Or until they are soft all the way through.  Then, strain them.
  • The veggies and chicken should have been simmering for several minutes now.  Add about 1-2 T of the coconut aminos.  Go ahead and stir it all together.  The celery should be cooked through and translucent.
  • Lower the heat on the wok, and add the noodles.  Mix well. 
  • Add more coconut aminos to taste.  This is my preferred brand to use.

  • Turn off the heat to the wok. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
And voila!  You're done!  Serve hot, and it can be garnished with sliced green onions, if you like.  Or cilantro, if you prefer.  Add more coconut aminos, salt, pepper to taste.

Notes
  • If you have leftovers, let the noodles cool completely to room temperature and store in the fridge for up to 2 days.  If you make it, let me know how yours turns out!
  • The amounts for the carrots, onions, celery are all approximations.  Use more or less as you like.

Comments

Popular Posts