Yuzu Kosho Rubbed Tuna with Spicy Avocado Puree

For those of you who don't know, I studied abroad in Japan for a year when I was in college.  While there, I met another American exchange student from Arizona.  We became fast friends and reconnected a couple years ago via Facebook.  Since then, she's started her own YouTube channel (called Bilingual Baby, if anyone wants to check it out on Instagram and/or Twitter).  One of the things she mentions on her channel is a Japanese condiment called yuzu kosho.  I'd never heard of it before and was very curious about this citrusy, spicy, salty flavor that she loves.  So, my friend very kindly sent me some yuzu kosho to try and come up with some recipes for it.

Well, my first step in using it is to just try it and see how it tastes.  In concentrated form, it's very strong and salty and unlike any flavor I've ever had.  A quick Google search told me that many American chefs are starting to use yuzu kosho in restaurants now and that it can either be used sweet and/or savory.  I was so intrigued and found this recipe for a spicy tuna dish.

Tonight, I made the dish from the recipe link above, and let me just say that it IS amazing!  I thought the yuzu kosho flavor would be too much in all 3 parts of the recipe, but boy was I wrong!!  The fat in the avocado, as well as the sweetness in the fruit (I used nectarine since I had no apples), complemented the spicy salty aspect of the citrus flavor of the yuzu fruit.

Here is a picture of my attempt at Yuzu Kosho Rubbed Tuna with Spicy Avocado Puree.  I topped with a few shavings of sushi-nori seaweed. (I ended up making small maki rolls with the dish.)


I would definitely order this at a restaurant!

Notes on the recipe changes I made:

  • I substituted rice vinegar for the lime juice in the fruit & cucumber part of the recipe. (I didn't have any fresh limes on hand.)
  • I also skipped the lime juice in the avocado puree altogether.
  • The yuzu kosho was salty enough that I didn't need to add any additional salt at all.
  • I substituted coconut aminos for the soy sauce.

Comments

Popular Posts